Royal Residences: Clarence House

Clarence House, which stands beside St James's Palace, was built between 1825 and 1827 to the designs of John Nash for Prince William Henry, Duke of Clarence.

During its history, Clarence House has been altered, reflecting the changes in occupancy over nearly two centuries. It was the London home of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother from 1953 until 2002 and was also the home of Queen Elizabeth II, then Princess Elizabeth, and Prince Philip following their marriage in 1947.

The principal rooms of the house were used by The King and Queen when Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall for receptions and other official entertaining and to receive official visitors to the UK.

The arrangement of the rooms and the grouping of their contents remain recognisably as they were in Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother's time, with much of Her Majesty's collection of works of art and furniture in their former positions.

To prepare the building for the former Prince of Wales, Clarence House underwent extensive refurbishment and redecoration.

The colour schemes were adjusted in most rooms, new textiles introduced, and several new pieces from the Royal Collection and from The Prince of Wales's own art collection added.

The alterations were designed to reflect the change of occupancy, while maintaining the familiar atmosphere of a much-loved family house.

Very much a home, Clarence House is the last remaining great London house to be maintained in the purpose for which it was built.