Announcement of a State Visit by the President of South Africa
Published 03 October 2022
The President of the Republic of South Africa, President Cyril Ramaphosa, accompanied by Dr Tshepo Motsepe, has accepted an invitation from His Majesty The King to pay a State Visit to the United Kingdom from Tuesday 22nd November to Thursday 24th November 2022.
The King and The Queen Consort will host the State Visit at Buckingham Palace.
Visits to South Africa
The King has visited South Africa, a member of the Commonwealth, on a number of occasions:
His Majesty’s first visit was to Pretoria, Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town from 31st October – 5th November, 1997:
- The King visited a community policing project in Nyanga township.
- The King visited the Tsoga township environmental project.
- The King officially opened the British Council offices in Cape Town and met British Council staff and Chevening Scholars.
- The King visited Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens.
- The King visited the Ravensmead Clinic Tuberculosis project, viewed a clinic and mobile laboratory and tuberculosis awareness-raising activities.
- The King attended a concert in aid of the Nations Trust at the Johannesburg Athletics Stadium.
The King and The Queen Consort also visited Pretoria and Johannesburg from 2nd – 6th November 2011:
- The King attended a Roundtable discussion with members of the South African Corporate Leaders' Group, as Patron of the Cambridge Programme for Sustainability Leadership.
- The King and The Queen Consort visited the Nelson Mandela Foundation in Johannesburg, and were received by Mrs. Graca Machel.
- The King gave a speech at the University of Cape Town on international sustainability and climate change.
- The King visited Kuyasa Township.
- The King and The Queen Consort visited members of the Mduku community and a clinic in KwaZulu-Natal.
- The King visited the Black Rhino Range Expansion Project at Phinda Game Reserve.
The King also attended the funeral of President Nelson Mandela on 15th December 2013.
Inward South Africa State Visits
- The King attended a State Banquet at Buckingham Palace during the State Visit of President Nelson Mandela on the 9th July 1996.
- During the State Visit of President Thabo Mbeki and Mrs Mbeki in 2001, The King received The President at the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh, where His Majesty hosted a lunch with Scottish Business Leaders. The King, accompanied by The President and Mrs Mbeki, visited 6VT, a youth charity in Edinburgh. The King attended a banquet given by the President of South Africa and Mrs Mbeki in London on 14th June 2001.
- The King and The Queen Consort welcomed The President and Mrs. Zuma on behalf of Her Majesty at the start of the State Visit of President Jacob Zuma and Mrs Zuma in March, 2010.
- Further details of the State Visit programme will be announced in due course.
Remarks by His Majesty The King at the United Nations Office Nairobi, Kenya
As we look ahead to COP twenty-eight in another months time, we must remember what President Ruto said at the Africa Climate Summit – “we go far when we go together”.
The Queen's Commonwealth Day Message 2021
Stirring examples of courage, commitment and selfless dedication to duty have been demonstrated in every Commonwealth nation and territory.
The Queen's 2020 Commonwealth Day Message
Such a blend of traditions serves to make us stronger, individually and collectively, by providing the ingredients needed for social, political and economic resilience
A speech by The Duchess of Cornwall to celebrate The Queen's Commonwealth Essay Competition 2019
Ladies and Gentlemen, It’s a huge pleasure to welcome you to Buckingham Palace today. Queen Victoria, my husband’s great-great-great-grandmother, was the first British...
A message from The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to The President of Pakistan
A speech by The Countess of Wessex celebrating the work of The Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust
On behalf of the people The Trust has helped thank you to each and every one of you for all your incredible support, and to Your Majesty thank you for choosing to give the...
A speech by The Duke of Sussex at the visit to The Princess Diana Orthopaedic Centre, Huambo, Angola
I am humbled and honoured that my mother’s work and commitment to demining continues to inspire and that her legacy is being recognised and celebrated today with the naming of...
A speech by The Countess of Wessex at the Commonwealth Women’s Affairs Ministers Meeting, in Nairobi, Kenya
Gender equality is a fundamental right but it is not yet the reality for many
A speech delivered by The Duke of Sussex at the opening game of the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2019
Cities across England and Wales will come alive over the next six weeks as World Cup fever sweeps the nation once more
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge & The Duke and Duchess of Sussex message countries affected by Cyclone Idai
A speech by The Duke of Sussex at a the Commonwealth Youth Roundtable
This year, as we mark the 70th anniversary of the modern Commonwealth, and with the theme: ‘A Connected Commonwealth', there is a great opportunity to harness the talent...
A speech by The Duke of Sussex at Circus Zambia, The Queen’s Commonwealth Trust Event, Lusaka
We established The Queen’s Commonwealth Trust to be your platform. The place where your voices can be heard, where your work is seen and taken seriously.
A speech by The Prince of Wales at the Accra International Convention Centre, Accra, Ghana
It is clear to me that the Commonwealth remains as vital today, as it has ever been. It brings us together, building bridges between our governments and our people
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess Cornwall tour of Ghana
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's visit to Australia, Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand
A speech by The Duke of Sussex at a reception to mark the Commonwealth Youth Challenge
We can’t wait to see you in action in your home countries and learn about what you’re doing to better the Commonwealth, and the world, in 2040 and beyond.
The Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting 2018
Prince Harry gives a speech at The Queen's Young Leaders Awards
We are here today to recognise our Queen's Young Leaders for 2017. The Queen's Young Leaders Programme was launched in 2014 in honour of Her Majesty The Queen's 60 years of...
A Message from Her Majesty The Queen on the opening of the 2017 Commonwealth Science Conference
It gives me great pleasure to welcome you all to the Commonwealth Science Conference in Singapore following the success of the Bangalore Conference in 2014. I am very grateful...