Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge was safely delivered of a son at 1101hrs. The baby weighs 8lbs 7oz. The Duke of Cambridge was present for the birth. The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, The Prince of Wales, The Duchess of Cornwall, Prince Harry and members of both families have been informed and are delighted with the news. Her Royal Highness and her child are both doing well.
NOTES TO EDITORS:
1. The medical staff in support were:
- Mr. Guy Thorpe-Beeston, Surgeon Gynaecologist to The Royal Household
- Mr. Alan Farthing, Surgeon Gynaecologist to Her Majesty The Queen
- Dr. Sunit Godambe, Consultant Neonatologist at Imperial College NHS Trust
- Professor Huw Thomas, Physician to Her Majesty The Queen and Head of the Medical Household
2. The name of the baby will be announced in due course.
3. The baby is fifth in the line of Succession after His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales, His Royal Highness The Duke of Cambridge, His Royal Highness Prince George of Cambridge and Her Royal Highness Princess Charlotte of Cambridge. He is styled His Royal Highness Prince [name] of Cambridge.
4. A formal notice of the birth will be posted on the forecourt of Buckingham Palace in due course.