The Honours of the Principality of Wales are the regalia associated with the Princes of Wales.
The original insignia used in the investiture of a Prince of Wales consisted of a coronet, a ring, a rod and a mantle. In Tudor times a sword and girdle were added.
In 1677, Charles II issued a warrant which stated that 'the Son and Heir apparent of the Crown ... shall use and bear his Coronet composed of Crosses and flowers de Liz with one Arch and in the midst a Ball and cross...'. This design specification has been observed ever since.
Among the surviving insignia of former Princes is the Prince of Wales's Crown, made in 1728 for Prince Frederick Louis (George II's eldest son, who died in 1751 before he could inherit the throne).
In 1911, a new set of Welsh honours was designed for the investiture of Prince Edward (later Edward VIII and subsequently Duke of Windsor) at Caernarfon Castle.
The 1911 regalia consisted of a coronet, a rod, a ring, a sword and a robe or mantle with doublet and sash.
The regalia incorporated gold from a mine in Gwynedd, and the Welsh dragon is featured on the rod, ring and sword.
The rod, ring and sword of 1911 were all re-used at Prince Charles's investiture in 1969 also at Caernarfon Castle, as were the clasps from the 1911 robe.
Before 4,000 guests, the letters patent investing the Prince were read in English and Welsh, during which The Queen invested the Prince with the insignia of the Principality.
He received the sword as a symbol of justice, the coronet as a token of rank, the ring as a token of duty and the rod as a symbol of government.
The 1911 investiture regalia, together with the new items worn by the current Prince of Wales, are on loan to the National Museum of Wales in Cardiff.